Portugal Straps Retreat
Who should come? Straps artists and aerialists interested in training hard, relaxing hard, and playing hard. Be ready to level up your 1 and 2-arm spins and swings, your c-shaping (for ANY apparatus), static strength technique, drops, transitions, and sequencing. Most days will include guided/structured training as well as time for open sessions on straps, handstands, silks (or any apparatus you choose to bring), you name it!
– 3 catered local meals a day (breakfast is help yourself)
– 4 or 7 nights of beachside accommodation
– Aerial straps immersion
– 13 points, 8.5 m high w/unlimited training time
– Cold plunge, jacuzzi, and pool access
– Algarve’s Beach Time
– Hammock time in the 30-year old garden
– Private accommodations/other rentable apartments are available offsite for the introverts out there.
– All rooms have an en-suite bathroom or are close by and shared with no more than 2 people.
– Group games and shenanigans
– flights to/from Faro (45 min) or Lisbon (2.5 hours by car)
– travel insurance
– optional excursions (wine tasting, ocean kayaking, et cetera
- *Do not buy flights until you’ve received an acceptance email clarifying dates and time table (and I’ve received your deposit).*
A $350 euros non-refundable deposit to the retreat center is required to reserve your spot (before the early bird deadline if you want the early bird price). Payment plans are available, but full payment must be made by February 15th, 2024.
House of Honey provides a relaxing, boutique location for learning aerial with an international community of aerialists from the world over! Spend your days training hard, and your nights playing or relaxing hard (in the pool, on the rig, or playing actual games).
Enjoy delicious food grown in Portugal! Most of our meals include fresh fruits and vegetables from the local farmer’s market in Lagos. Carefully planned to provide you with everything your body needs to train, our chefs cater to specific needs — whether you’re vegan, vegetarian or you eat it all 🙂
On the terrace where we serve meals, you also have access to a gorgeous salt pool, jacuzzi and ice bath. The mature garden, over 30 years old, also offers plenty of places to relax and unwind.
– 4 (or 7!) days of aerial straps immersion with two daily 2.5 hours straps workshops – currently, I’m happy to do either a 7-day retreat or 4-day retreat (request your preference in the form below). The dates would either be the 16-23rd (3 days of training) or the 19th-23rd (5 days of training) of March.
– Three delicious local meals per day
– 24/7 salt pool, jacuzzi and ice bath.
For the 4-day retreat:
Early-bird pricing for a shared room (register and submit your deposit by September 29th 2023: $1,300
*A private room is an additional $300 for the length of the retreat.
If you reserve your spot after the early bird deadline, pricing increases by $250 (for both shared/private rooms).
For the 7-day retreat:
Early-bird pricing for a shared room (register and submit your deposit by September 29th 2023: $2,085.
*A private room is an additional $200 for the length of the retreat.
Highlights from Past Trainings
I’ve been to several teacher trainings that did not feel appropriately leveled where I’ve left feeling like I didn’t learn as much as desired or “get my money’s worth”. This training was the first that I have been 100% satisfied with. The amount of material covered was good, and I appreciated learning so many progressions and drills to help students (or myself) work up to a skill. I feel like I have all the tools I need to build training plans for myself as well as lesson plans for experienced aerialists looking to start straps training. You allowed us plenty of time to work through skills thoroughly and get a full understanding of everything, while maintaining a good pace and not making me feel like I was just sitting around waiting for the next thing. You also made it fun – which is hugely important but not often the case with teacher trainings.
Excellent ability to organize and connect information in an accessible way for people coming from different backgrounds, apparatuses, and motivations. I really enjoyed that the atmosphere encouraged us to offer & receive feedback from one another in addition to your feedback, and practice hands on spotting.
Language Use, Perfectionism, and Nervous System Regulation – How They Impact Our Training/Performing ft. Janelle of CirquePsych
Alright, y’all, we’ve got a new episode up with @janelledinosaurs AKA @cirque_psych (LSW). In this episode, we covered how the language we use can impact our physiological response in training, the benefits and detriments of perfectionism as it applies to training,...
Autoregulation, Minimum Effective Dose, and Oral Contraceptive Use on Maximal Strength Output (ft. Dr. Eric Helms)
Ever been curious about how to assess when to stop training a dynamic aerial skill versus a strength skill? In this episode of CircSci, we explore the way you can use autoregulation and repetitions left in reserve to pick sets/reps and load for differing types of...
Interview with Jess Allen - @awyrol - who is an aerial instructor/performer in Wales, has completed two PhD's, and has spent the pandemic looking into periodization into relation to hormonal changes because she's a bit mental (in the best way!). We cover the effects...