Aerial Straps Level 2 Teacher and Performer/Artist Training
Asynchronous & Online, Early Summer 2023 – Worldwide
Created and produced by Aaron Koz, of CircSci, the Level 2 Straps Teacher and Performer Training draws on over 10 years of aerial and movement instruction experience in the field. Key information will be shared via lectures, group discussion, and embodied practical application of the concepts addressed.
• Participants will receive the Level 2 Skill Reference List for use after the training
• In-depth skill investigation for: 1-arm switches, 1-arm swings, 1-arm spins, intermediate/advanced sequencing like split grip, sling, and open-handed transitions, intermediate drops, 1 and 2-arm waist rolling, and advanced 1-arm strength skills.
• Ergonomic and effective spotting technique for: all 1-arm switches, 1-arm inversions, spotting intermediate/advanced swinging skills, pulling lines, and waist rolling.
• The benefits and HOW to’s for off-apparatus training
• How to use sport psychology principles in your coaching practice with intermediate/advanced performers
• Private lesson/workshop programming
• Identifying common problems and things that can increase injury risk in DYNAMIC techniques and pathways
• How to approach (re)patterning of skill pathways that are limiting the athlete’s success.
• Tendinopathies and risk management strategies
• Skill Acquisition strategies (segmentation, fast vs. slow., guided inquiry vs. discovery, external cueing, etc)
• Advanced in-depth anatomy/physiology/kinesiology for 1-arm skills – what is happening when during higher level skills.
• Using an “occupational therapy” framework to coaching around/through injuries
Submit your full application for early bird pricing here!
Students will, over the course of the training, have:
– Asynchronous (on your own time) independent study (lectures, video tutorials, and homework – 10-15 hours – this will be done through the platform Thinkific with hours of pre-recorded lectures.
– Skill and progression practice – 10-15 hours
– Video reviews and peer assessment/analysis – 5-10 hours
– Live Zoom class – 10-12 hours
Level 2 Zoom Class Times:
4 Summer Sundays starting in May – time to be determined based on your preferences expressed on your application
The Zoom sessions provide time to discuss nuanced concepts in-depth, review videos, practice cueing and providing feedback on those skills, and meeting your fellow straps humans from around the world! Max March-Steinman is lead co-host of the Zoom sessions.
Each week, students will have assigned practical (skill-review) and theory-based homework (including video lectures, quizzes, class planning, biomechanics, and periodization assignments.
General prerequisites if you have not already taken the Level 1 training:
Physical prerequisites are encouraged for embodied understanding for the practical section (AND/OR be ready to have a student to work with for the practical video submission for spotting assessment as well as practical demonstration):
• Minimum of 2-3 years aerial/gymnastics/movement teaching experience (does not include aerial yoga) OR 3-4 years seriously training vertical aerial apparatus
• Comfort in a 2-arm or 1-arm c-shaping/waist rolling pathway moving through the full pathway
• Ability to 1-arm arm invert in the air
• Comfort or comfort teaching in skin the cat, flag, meathook, back balance, support position.
• Experience teaching or training 1-arm normal and reverse spinning skills – to flag/meathook/scorpion/fulltwist/reverse full/et cetera
• Experience training or teaching 1 and 2-arm swinging skills like swing to meathook, flag, dislocates/inlocates, twists, and back-saltso, et cetera
• An understanding of straps-related biomechanics, teaching theory, beginning spotting techniques, c-shaping technique, and intermediate/advanced straps skill pathways and coaching of them.
Applicants are recommended to submit an audition video (including 5-10 advanced 1-arm and 2-arm skills you can safely DO or safely TEACH ) in addition to the application form. Submit your full application here!
*The total time commitment is quite high, but you will have access to the skill reference videos forever. The in-depth tutorial and lecture videos are accessible during the teacher training and for a month after the training. You will also have the option of being added to a private Straps Teacher Trainees FB group where you can bounce ideas off of other coaches who have done the Level 1 and Level 2 trainings.
Pricing and payment:
Early Bird pricing of $750 USD ends April 20th. The total price is $850 USD upfront (to be sent in no later than by May 29th), 2 monthly payments of $435 (to be sent in by August 3rd), or 3 monthly payments of $300 USD (be sent in by August 3rd).
In your application, please make a note if have financial need for a discount or scholarship and an explanation of your financial situation. The goal is to make the training as accessible as possible to everyone wanting to work their professional development as an aerial and straps coach.
Your application will only be eligible for early bird price if the registration form is complete and the $275 deposit is submitted (if you’ve already taken Level 1).
If you have not already taken the Level 1 training, to be eligible for early bird, please submit videos of you training or coaching the skills in the application video, and include some days/times you’re available for the video interview/audition prior to April 20th. The video audition will be 30 minutes, and will require a submitted application deposit of $50 prior to the video appointment.
Once your application and/or video appointment is successfully submitted and reviewed, you will receive an email letting you know you’ve been approved! Once you receive that, a $275 non-refundable deposit must be submitted before the early bird deadline to reserve your spot in the training.
To reserve your spot in the teacher training after the early bird deadline of April 20th, a minimum non-refundable deposit of $345 must be submitted two months prior to the training start date.
Payment can be submitted via CashApp ($kozaaron)/Paypal (firstname.lastname@example.org, friends and family)/Revolut/Transferwise – all payment amounts must take into account any added fees/currency exchange fees. If you are based outside the U.S., do not use Paypal unless you want to risk added fees.
After the teacher training has started, the fee is non-refundable. In the case of extreme emergency, your access to the training platform can be paused and extended until the emergency has resolved.
For more information, email email@example.com
“The manual provided was in depth and very informative. I gained knowledge not only for my students but also for my person goals relating to straps training. The content was on point! I thought I knew a lot and I still came away with more skills and knowledge of pathways in my repertoire.”
“Very detailed manual, and well researched physio knowledge related to all of the straps pathways that were covered. Really appreciated all of the detailed spotting technique as well!”
“Anatomy focus, progressions clearly given–with care to address possible issues in students and how to correct. Lots of hands on time to practice spotting and various drills to feel skill in body correctly.”
“Excellent explanations of how to prep, spot, and teach skills to those with no experience. Lots of fun! Good pacing. Made us critically think about how to teach.”